Here’s where to play tennis for free on the Treasure Coast courts
It’s time to make some noise.
The Treasure Coast is home to at least 25 public tennis courts where people can play for free in Martin, St. Lucie and Indian River counties. Private courts charge fees or require memberships.
Tennis was conceived and codified in England in the 1870s, but it is the direct descendant of palm game, invented in France in the 11th century, according to the website of the International Olympic Committee. The sport was originally played with bare hands before the invention of the racket in the 16th century.
The name comes from the French word “tenez” – which means “here, it comes” – which the server told his opponent before throwing the ball.
Today, tennis has become a major sport followed by millions of fans throughout the year.
So grab a racket, a box of balls and a friend – or three for doubles – and try the sport out on your local court.
Free Treasure Coast Tennis Courts
Indian River County
Fellsmere tennis and handball court
- Address: 57 N. Cypress St., Fellsmere (northeast corner of North Cypress Street and Colorado Avenue opposite Fellsmere Elementary School)
- Approvals: 1 tennis court with lighting
- Hours: 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday to Thursday, 5 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday to Saturday
- Call: 772-571-1616
- Website: cityoffellsmere.org
Schumann promenade park
Riverside Racket Tennis Complex
- Address: Riverside Park, 350 Dahlia Lane, Vero Beach
- Approvals: 10 tennis courts (including 6 floodlit courts), training wall with lighting, pro shop, picnic areas with tables and shelters, toilets, water fountains
- Hours: Noon to 5 p.m. Monday to Thursday, noon to 8 p.m. Friday to Saturday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday (free when the pro shop is closed)
- Call: 772-231-4787
- Website: covb.org
- Address: 2401 15th Street, Vero Beach
- Approvals: 2 tennis courts (redone in spring 2021), toilets, water fountains, pavilion
- Hours: From sunrise to sunset every day
- Call: 772-567-2144
- Website: covb.org
South County Regional Park
County of St. Lucia
Pepper Park next to the beach
Lawnwood Tennis Center
Lakewood Neighborhood Park
Lincoln Park Regional Park
Whispering Pines Park and Tennis Center
- Address: 800 SW Darwin Blvd., Port Saint Lucia
- Approvals: 14 tennis courts with a field for tournaments, toilets, shaded stands, lighting for all courts, 40 by 20 foot pavilion with lights, electric, three 8 foot tables
- Hours: 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily (light sports curfew at 9:30 p.m.)
- Call: 772-878-2277
- Website: cityofpsl.com
Jessica Clinton Park
Charles Ray Park
Halpatiokee Regional Park
Lance Cpl. Justin Wilson Memorial Park
Kiwanis Post Family Park
William G. “Doc” Myers Park
JV Reed Park
County Line Park
Laurie K. Blandford is TCPalm’s entertainment journalist and columnist dedicated to finding the best things to do on the Treasure Coast. Follow her on Twitter at@TCPalmLaurie or Facebook atfaceboook.com/TCPalmLaurie.