Convicted of 17 child molestation charges, Solano man gets 17 years and 4 months – The Vacaville Reporter

A Solano County man convicted last year of 17 counts of child molestation was sentenced on Tuesday to 17 years and four months in state prison, The Reporter has learned.

Official court records show Venancio Dizon De Guzman Jr., 50, appeared for sentencing in Department 9 of the Fairfield Justice Center, where Judge Carlos R. Gutierrez handed down the sentence, including an indeterminate sentence of 150 years in perpetuity, which means DeGuzman’s release date is left open.

The judge, who noted that De Guzman had failed to comply with the article of the Criminal Code dealing with the surrender of firearms after a conviction, also refused probation and also told De Guzman that he would be required to register as a sex offender and ordered him to finish AIDS. test.

The judge also ordered De Guzman to pay more than $21,000 in fines and restitution.

Deputy public defenders Pamela Boskin and Denisse Tanasa represented De Guzman and they requested a new trial, but the judge denied the request.

Five people, including some of De Guzman’s victims, offered victim impact statements during the sentencing hearing.

De Guzman will remain in Claybank Detention Center in Fairfield until he is transferred to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

His sentencing came after jurors on September 1, after nearly three days of deliberation following a five-week trial, returned guilty verdicts on 17 of the 21 charges alleged against him.

The 12-member panel found De Guzman guilty of nine counts of aggravated assault of a child under 14, rape; one count of aggravated assault on a child under 14, oral copulation; two counts of attempted aggravated sexual assault of a child under 14, oral copulation; one count of forcible rape; and four counts of lewd acts on a child under 14.

However, jurors found De Guzman not guilty on counts of aggravated sexual assault of a child, oral copulation, and were unable to unanimously agree on several lesser charges.

Two of De Guzman’s four victims – who as young girls suffered from his actions more than 20 years ago, with some of the crimes dating back to 1998 – were in the courtroom to hear the jury’s verdicts.

Commenting on what led the jury to convict De Guzman on the bulk of the charges, Assistant District Attorney Kathleen McBride, who led the prosecution, said, “The jury was ultimately persuaded by the obviously unscripted testimony and often very moving offered by the victims of the witness stand.

“The jury’s verdict reflects their unwavering faith in the truth told by the young women in this case, all of whom have shown incredible courage and strength throughout this process,” she added. .

Arrested in October 2018, De Guzman pleaded not guilty to the charges.

McBride had said De Guzman abused the girls when they were between 9 and 13 years old.

The Solano County District Attorney’s Office filed its complaint on October 16, 2018. De Guzman was set to answer the charges on April 29, 2019. His bail was set at $2.5 million.

Comments are closed.